Legacy Planned Giving
Remembering Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens in your will or through other planned ways is a powerful way to make a long-term difference in the lives of those in need.
Steps to a Planned Gift:
Planned Giving in an opportunity for people like you, who care deeply about changing lives and building community – and want to continue doing this even after your lifetime. Planned Giving is THE GIFT OF OUR LIFETIME… for you who are fully using your assets, like your financial, personal, and tangible assets. After our lifetime, when we pass along those assets remaining, most of us have the opportunity to make the largest and, therefore, the most impactful gift of our lives.
DESIGN YOUR GIFT…
Planning your gift may enable you to send more to CCBQ or to protect more future value for you and your family. Here are some of the more common gifts that you might consider:
- Bequests: A Bequest is a gift made through a will or a living trust. It’s the most popular planned gift; the easiest to make; and costs nothing during a donor’s lifetime. A Bequest can be included in a new will or added to an existing will or living trust through a simple amendment— often without the expense of hiring a lawyer. A Bequest is usually a set dollar amount or percentage of an estate that goes to Catholic Charitie Brooklyn and Queens after the donor’s death.
- Charitable Gift Annuity: A Charitable Gift Annuity allows you to transfer an irrevocable gift of cash or securities to Catholic Charities in exchange for a fixed income payment for life. What’s more, this gift plan entitles you to an immediate charitable income tax deduction. At the end of its term, the Charitable Gift Annuity balance goes to Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens to support our mission.
- Retirement Plan: This can be the most heavily taxed asset in many estates. Choosing this as your gift might leave your less task-burdened assets to your loved ones. Like a gift of life insurance, a donor can name Catholic Charities as the beneficiary of a portion or all of his/her IRA, 401(k), or other Retirement Plans. When the donor’s estate is settled, the amount designated passes to the Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens and the donor’s heirs avoid income and estate tax.
- Real Estate: Contributing property after your lifetime or when it is no longer needed can be a game-changing gift. A donor can make a Gift of Real Estate to Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens, removing a large taxable asset from their estate and benefiting by receiving an income tax deduction equal to the appraised fair market value of the property, with no capital gains tax due on the transfer. Catholic Charities can then sell the Gift of Real Estate or keep it for its own use.
Charitable Trust: Trusts can combine flexible benefits, including a generous income, tax benefits, and a powerful gift to Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens.
- Other: Many other giving opportunities might prove ideal for your situation. Call to find out more.
KNOW THE IMPACT…
Your gift will continue your work here even after your lifetime. You can continue to affirm the dignity and value of every person, especially the most vulnerable members of our diverse society.
We teach others by demonstrating our values through our words and actions. Now that you have made a planned gift, you may expand your impact by sharing with loved ones the why of your gift. Share the news of your gift with:
- Loved ones so that they can witness your commitment beyond your lifetime — and follow your example to plan their legacy for the future.
- Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens so that we may thank you properly and that we may ensure your gift has a maximum impact after it is received.
- Join the Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens 1899 Society – a group of like-minded generous visionaries who have planned a gift to make a long-term difference in the lives of those in need.
Make Your Gift General:
By making your planned gift without any designations, your donation can go to the area where leadership finds the greatest need and most significant opportunity for your impact here
Caring for estates and assets often requires help. To make sure a particular planned gift fits your situation, we suggest that you consult with your professional advisor on how this gift would fit into your plans.