COMMUNITY SKILLS SPECIALIST
CARMEN AQUILONE DAY CENTER
2440 FULTON STREET,
BROOKLYN, NY 11233
Facilitates individuals’ services and activities that are consistent with valued outcomes of independence, individualization, inclusion, and productivity.
Provide functional training in the environment that will maximize the individual’s independence.
Planning and monitoring community trips and training individuals to access and use different modes of transportation.
Implement community-based training opportunities.
Ensure individuals have opportunity to use public transportation, public facilities and resources in the community.
Provide opportunities for individuals to engage in physical activities including walking in the neighborhood.
Accompany individuals to the hospital and advocate for their treatment.
Accurately complete the following routine written work: documentation of services delivered contemporaneously, attendance, progress notes, & any documentation required by supervisor and/or administration.
Report and document all incidents in accordance with agency guidelines and OPWDD.
Maintain clean, healthy, and safe program environment, & identify and report any health and safety issues, & needed repairs and supplies as they arise.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors Degree in Human Services field is required.
- Two years experience with the Mentally & Developmentally disabled population required.
- AMAP Certification is preferred.
- The physical environment requires the employee to work both inside and outside in hot/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions.
- Will be required to assist in the transferring of adult individuals in and out of wheelchairs and or to provide physical support to adults when needed to ensure their safety and well-being.
- Must have the ability to lift up to 25 pounds (i.e. office equipment, consumers adaptive devices, etc.) and be able to sit and stand for more than 4 hours at a time.
- Ability to talk, hear, smell, read printed materials and computer screens, have good balance, climb stairs, & kneel in the context of providing support to individuals.